Making Muddy Buddies On A Snow Day!
We are in the wonderful state of North Carolina and we love it here for so many reasons. One reason is when it snows here life slows down and everyone gets excited! This is a welcomed change of pace from our day to day hustle. I appreciate slowing down and watching the kids find the magic in a snow day. North Carolina may get teased for shutting down but it is not the snow they are shutting down for it is the ice. The weather changes quickly from warm to cold leaving it harder to predict. The snow is heavy and wet, it quickly changes from big beautiful flakes to rain and then ice. No matter how much experience you have driving in the snow icy roads are dangerous and not many roads are treated since this isn’t weather we see often. It’s better to just stay home make some Muddy Buddies and join in on some snow day fun.
When we have snow days we find things to do that we don’t have time for on school nights or busy weekends like baking! Making Muddy Buddies is SUPER EASY Try adding pretzels or candy to change it up and make everyone happy!
TIP- I have 3 girls old enough to cook so I set up 3 separate stations They get a zip lock bag, a bowl, a cooking mat to contain the mess and a spoon. I make it clear they are in charge of cleaning up the mess when we are done and I assign cleaning tasks before we start so there is no reason to argue.
- 1 box of Chex Mix Cereal ** We Like the Corn version but the Rice is the same. Also Target’s store brand is a great option if you can get a good deal**
- 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter **If you buy organic Peanut butter add a pinch of salt**
- 1/4 C Butter **also know as 4 Tablespoons**
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
Lets Get Started!
- Pour the Chex Mix Cereal into 2 gallon size Ziplock bags evenly and place them aside.
- In the microwave safe bowl you give them to mix ingredients add the Chocolate Chips, Peanut Butter & Butter.
- Leaving the bowl uncovered microwave the 3 ingredients for 1 minute, be careful letting them take this out of the microwave it will be hot.
- Stir the ingredients until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla and give it a good stir.
- Pour the chocolate mix over the Chex Mix Cereal in the Ziplock bags. Stop about half way and move the cereal around so it is covering the cereal on the bottom as well. Once you have added all the chocolate mix close the ziplock bag and use the corners to turn the bag until the mixture is spread out as much as you can.
- Add 1/2 the powdered sugar close the bag and give it a good shake.
- Add the other 1/2 of the powdered sugar and continue shaking or turning without crushing the cereal..
Place it in the freezer for about an hour before serving it. We munch a little bit before putting it away but it is really tastey strait out of the freezer so leave it to chill while you clean up.
This weekend we replaced 1/2 of the peanut butter for Nutella and it was so delicious! This is an easy recipe to play get kids in the kitchen and experienting with new flavors. It is defiantly a sugary treat but sometimes soul food is just what we need to get through a snow day!